Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Gayness, Multiculural Education, and Community by Dennis Carlson

HYPERLINKS

Reading this article I was not sure what to write about, so I did some research. I found several different links that help describe this article and other related topics.

I as surprised to find that there were many blogs. All of which I saw where from students from Dr. Bogad's classes from a previous years.
The first student's work that I read was simplified and understandable. She did not give much information, but what she did give was very simply and helped me clarify the defining points.

http://h2thec.blogspot.com/2008/02/gayness-multicultural-education-and.html

She said that Carlson argues that sexual orientation is not taught enough in school. I realised that I was never taught this in any of my schooling. This is very true.

One quote that really seemed true to me was "Gay people for the most part have been made absent, and silent within this community." Gays are not able to openly tell people their sexual orientation. There are many fears of telling people this sort of things becuase some take it in a very negative way.

Another website gave a description of this article, but gave me a thought I hadn't thought of.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ504184&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_

It said that public schools may play an important role ina multiculutural life.
I found another blog, also from Dr. Bogad's class, in which she says that Carlson says keeping "gayness in its place" is becoming a problem these days.

http://kendra4.blogspot.com/2008/02/gayness-multicultural-education-and.html

Overall, I feel that there is less focus on sexual orientation than there should be and that it will eventually will be a problem. I would like to ask in class people's opinions on this because I think there would be many different view points. I feel that there should be more talk about this sort of thing in the class room. It needs to be recognized. Ifit is not, it will face even more discrimination in the long run.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that your google search led you to many different places, including former student blogs. I am glad they helped you better understand this text!We will be able to talk more about the issues you raise here in class this week.

    ReplyDelete