Thursday, September 23, 2010

First day

S.L. Project
Yesterday I had my first day at the elementary school. I am at Asa Messer Elementary. I am making a list of things I wish someone had told me before going to this school. I have worked in elementary schools before but I have not had to deal with this before.

-find an alternate route to the school, most of Providence is under construction and bridges are closed
-you may get to the school early, that does not mean the teacher will
-you may be assigned to a room, but it does not mean the teacher will have anything for you to do, even though you were expected.
-expect to have the children not talk to you and to feel awkward asking them for help because they are so shy
-beware of the teacher's teaching technique. (she uses yelling)
-students tend to run out of the school when they are upset
-expect no training for reading buddies even though you were told you would have it, you will be thrown into the classroom taking groups on your second day
-be prepared to be asked to sit down for most of the time you are in the classroom, you will not get a chance to help out much.

Overall, I was quite disappointed with my first day at the school. I was told we would be taking groups out by ourselves the next day we were there. We are receiving no training for reading buddies and I am afraid I will teach the students the wrong information. I do not really remember phonics and all that so I am nervous. I wish there would be at least one day of training for reading buddies so I have a general idea of what I should do.
In high school, I went through three years of child development. We had a play school in our room and I also went to intern at an elementary school where I rarely was able to do much for the teacher. But that was high school. I thought since I was in college, working towards my degree in elementary education, they would give me a little more responsibility so I can learn to be a teacher. This is supposed to be a learning experience so I hope that soon enough I am able to learn how to be a good teacher. I hope everyone else had a great first day and is at least learning something new.

3 comments:

  1. I think you will do a great job in your placement! Its just nerves, and change. If you are anything like myself, I hate change. But people say that change is a good thing!! Keep your head up. If you need some advise, I'm willing to help out if I can! See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with alicia in the sense that change isn't so good for me. but the fact that you aren't receiving training is ridiculous. i couldn't even believe that when you told the class today. i really hope that Dr. Bogad can talk to Sue and that she can do something to help you out. good luck! and i'm here if you need any help as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys :) it really means alot to have people's support. especially if its people you don't know and they are willing to put themselves out there. I've dealt with being in elementary schools before with having the teacher having nothing to do, but it just gets irritating that I am in college now and am working towards my career goals and I am not being trained or even working in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete