Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Third Day, and Delpit's Disappointment

Deplit in the Classroom

On my third day at Asa Messer Annex, if Deplit was in the classroom, she would of been very disappointed in my kindergarten teacher. She would always say to the children "Is it time to be talking?" "Is that the right way to stand in line?"

We learned from Deplit that teachers should be direct. "Do not talk" "Stand quietly and still"
I was surprised that my teacher made this mistake so many times. I know that you can slip up every once in a while, but to have this be a teaching habit seems inefficient to me.

3 comments:

  1. I also have a question for everyone. I work with 3 students in the 2 grades I work in. I have one student who if she doesn't know the answer, she will ignore me. She will push the other kids further behind and make them more anxious to continue. She is distrupting the learning process and is making it difficult for me to control the other two students without pushing her away. I can't give the other two students the attention that they need because of this one girl.

    Any suggestions on what I should do? Tell the teacher? suck it up? Igonore it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should casually talk to the teacher about it. Something like, "I'm not sure why, but I'm having trouble communicating well with(student), I want to give my attention to all three students equally but I'm constantly focusing on asking her to behave/focus" I don't know .. something along those lines. Perhaps she can give you some insights. I definitely think you have a right to be concerned about those other two students who are missing out because of another student.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an idea but it kind of depends on what grade she is in haha..you could make a prize bag or something on that idea and tell her if she behaves and focuses she will get a gift or if its really young kids sometimes they have like a favorite color they absolutly love and if they do well in class and do well on the paper you could write like excellent with a smiley face on their paper in the color they chose but if they dont behave you dont use that color..that is what my mom does and she works with first/second grade special needs students and it works really well..it sounds silly but whatever works right haha

    ReplyDelete