Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome Kliewer

REFLECTION

Kliewer discusses how children with disabilites are excluded in schools and how that then affects their relationship with the world. He mentions how separating these students from others sort of distrupts their learning, and then they will never have proper social skills. He used many different examples from other authors, but never seemed to voice his own opinion. But these sort of things made me remember my past.

No I do not have down syndrome. No i am not disabled. I am lucky. I have what's called Mosaic Turner's Syndrome. Its a problem with chromosomes. It explains why I am so short. But also, I am supposed to have odd physical features and be mentally disabled. For some reason, I have not experienced this, so I view myself as lucky. One thing I have noticed is difficulty in math, which is a main thing of Turner's syndrome. But this article made me think of how my parents refused to put me in SPED classes.

I went through testing and I seemed fine, so even though I struggled, I was never put in any special classes. When I recently told my mom about the math difficulties, she said I very well could have a problem. I asked why they never got me into different classes in school, and she gave me all the reasons that Kliewer listed. She said she wanted me to be treated normal, to be socially active. Not to be taken out of class and have people give me "the look". I know I am lucky, but I do somewhat understand what having a syndrome can do to a person, even if there's not much wrong.

I think that Kliewer uses alot of other author's to just help prove his point more that Down Syndrome children shouldn't be segregated from all. I believe this is true, but also that there needs to be assistance ins schools for those who do need help.


In class, I think there should be a discussion about how people think special ed. classes should be conducted. like if the students should be completely in these classes, or should they have a chance to be in other classes also.

Go to this site if you want info on Down Syndrome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_syndrome

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you shared your story and how your patents wanted you to be treated normally. It truly is a wonderful thing when parents get involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this... really interesting and great perspective on what "inclusion" means!

    ReplyDelete